View My Stats

Tuesday 30 March 2010

Some times I likes to sit and think, and sometimes I just likes to sit

It can be very hard to write something, and to write something interesting is even harder. This is not made easier when you have nothing on your mind. (In that case, I shall be providing feedback through the document, Ed).

I can tell you that I have renewed my annual family travel insurance. (3/10, Ed). I had bought some a while back, did not get my documents through until after the 14 days, only to find it had an excess of £250. After several emails it seems, as always, that it is a case of "buyer beware", and so I have a refund on the policy minus a £10 admin fee. I have now bought new insurance from another provider that has an excess of £50, for £17 more. Overall, I am glad to be covered for all my many and varied trips planned, and I guess I have also learnt a lesson that should have been learnt already, and that is to ALWAYS READ THE SMALL PRINT. It could have been worse, but quite how escapes me right now. (5/10, Ed).

I did take a look at an iPad, and they do look quite cool. As Golfy has already written in exhaustive fashion, there has been a lot written about a device that has not even been released yet. The fact that it won't support Flash is probably going to drive HTML 5.0 on to sites, and that can only be a good thing, with Flash being the most vulnerable bit of any PC to being hacked. (better. 7/10, Ed).

Other than that:

- Ricky Martin has just come out. He is very proud.
- Greenpeace are urging data centre owners to run their sites on renewable energy.
- PacMan has been seen on the moon. That is where he has been for the last 25 years. My son has just finished a school project on the eighties, and we did find an old game of PacMan, and I can honestly say I am still rubbish at the game.
- an indian holy man has had to step down after evidence of him cavorting with two ladies has come to light. Very hard not to comment on this one.
- Tony Blair has come out in support of Gordon Brown, praising his "boldness". Just when he was getting over "Taxigate", along comes Tone to really bu$$er up the party. (nice. 8/10, Ed).

Finally, I thought I would talk politics without showing any political persuasion. The chancellors had a televised duel last night. By all accounts, the yellow guy came off best but no knockout blows. The leaders will be following in due course. If they were to appear behind a screen, with their voices changed, I am guessing it may be quite hard to tell one from the other. But again, based on the last week or so, the yellow guy seems to be coming off best.
This may lead one to conclude that the yellows have a chance, but to be honest, while mid-term elections are all about mood and posturing, in a general election ballot people nearly always revert to type. I have heard persuasive arguments from all three sides, and how you receive them is totally governed by your own views, filters and inner voices. And it is these that generally determines where an individual puts their tick.

Those that are wavering are more likely to be so because a particular party is drifting towards them on the political spectrum, rather than them drifting towards a party. I think the leaders can help or hinder a party, and I think that specific economic conditions can also cause a bit of drift. There are the minority who have single issue views, either in race/immigration, environment, or monster raving loonies, and they are likely to drift nowhere fast.

So, what do all those meaningless words mean to my view on where the election will land. My guess, for what it is worth (nearly nothing), is that it will be a hung parliament, so those yellow fellows may well get a look in, regardless of whether the blues or the reds get the most votes. (Splinters, bums, fences. 4/10, Ed).

I hope your day proceeds in an orderly fashion.

No comments: