View My Stats

Friday 4 April 2014

And . . . relax

Today is the last day of term for the Maggots and LO, and it is fair to say that we are all looking forward to having a couple of weeks out from the daily routine.

Tomorrow, we are hosting the 65th birthday party for LO's mum, and that means curry for twenty odd people and a fair amount of organisation, most of which falls to LO to sort.  I will obviously provide the brawn, but there is no doubt that LO is the brains of the outfit.

Sunday is likely to be the laziest day we have had for a while.  We may not get up until lunchtime, and we may stay in our PJs for the WHOLE DAY, and we may well watch a number of highly dubious* films.

I still have not had the follow up meeting with my potential new manager, mainly because he is so very busy.  I have hassled him a couple of times, and will do so again on Monday, since if I am to move, I want to do it quickly so that I have a good part of the year to establish myself in the new role before my performance is appraised.  As mentioned by The Gorse Fox, this process is almost universally disliked, and tends to worry about things that are not important, in favour of things that are, both by measuring things that are definitely measurable, even if they are not relevant, and also by using a ranking process that means perfectly good people get marked down because they are "outside the top XX percent".  It does seem to take the "person" out of personnel.  Not sure that totally works, but what I really mean is that it is fairly inhuman and forgets that we are, largely, sentient beings with feelings and a wealth of untapped potential, if only they asked nicely.  Oh well, I guess you just have to like it or lump it.

Have a great weekend, and speak next week.

===============================
* I would not want you getting the wrong idea here.  By "dubious", I mean that they are films, the watching of which is unlikely to be shared with anyone we know.  Mamma Mia might be an example.

No comments: