View My Stats

Monday 17 October 2016

relaxing times

I am obviously so relaxed that I forgot to blog on Friday, so rather than tell you what I am going to be doing, I can tell you what I did.

Well, we had football training Saturday for Maggot 2, Maggot 1 doing his second weekend as an Assistant Tennis Coach (capitals are important, expecially for his developing CV).

On Saturday evening, David and Samantha and their two Maggotettes came over for a "holiday reunion" evening.  It started with the Scobi clan, in their swimsuits, dancing to a tune that was part of our "water aerobics" routine whilst on holiday.  You had to be there really.  We looked at photos and had a lovely evening of food, chat, and a little drink.  I was keeping it very light on the alcohol, since I am still in recovery, but I did have a couple of gin and tonics, a drink I found again whilst on holiday, and one that is just right when you want something, but not too much of it.

Sunday was a big day for Maggot 2.  It was the last game in his mini-league, and a win would secure a cup.  The team we were playing had, but their coach's own admission, been battered by every team in the league so far, so on paper it should have been an easy win.  However, as any pundit worth their salt will tell you, football is played on grass, not on paper, and so it was that, slightly against the run of play, they were 1-0 up at half time.  It was a fantastic counter-attack with their diminuative front man (he only reached the shoulders or our team) out-paced our fastest defender to slot home a nicely taken goal.  To be fair, our team was not playing badly, but we were playing directly in to a strong wind that, in my view (but not those of some of my fellow parents) was the dominant factor in the game.  So it was that in the second half, after a briefing from our coach along the lines of "you got yourselves in to this mess, you can get yourself out if it", they soon equalised, and then went on to win 4-1, with the wind, as already said, playing a major part in the game.  We battered them, the ball rarely left their half, and their goal kicks became a chance for one of our team to have a long shot at goal, so predictably did possession fall to us, the poor keeper unable to kick it far enough with the wind against him.  It was a good win, keeps our winning streak going, and gets us some more silverware.  Maggot 2 also scored, which will help his confidence, which has been dipping a bit of late.  He also had a very good game, working hard on and off the ball.  Overall, a great result.

I hope you had a great weekend, speak Friday (if I can be bothered).

No comments: