View My Stats

Thursday 10 February 2011

A quick mid-week note

Hello folks, just wanted to provide a mid-week note so that you know I am still in the land of the living.

My week is turning out to be very busy, and as a result of a lack of appropriate troopers, we are being escalated by our customer for late delivery of stuff all over the park.  I was reminded of the old phrase about the stages of a project being:

  • Forming - putting the team and the project together
  • Storming - the initial crazy phase when everyone is shouting and stuff is very slow and painful
  • Norming - starting to get control of the situation, bringing in workable governance and making sense of the madness
  • Performing - starting to hum like a well-tuned engine.

We are definitely in the storming phase of this "project", and that just means a lot of escalations, a lot of shouting, a lot of calling out to the wider Starfleet and getting back nothing but a large echo.  There is also the occasional moment when you lead the charge, raise your sword and scream at the top of your voice as you rush towards the enemy, only to look round to find you are on your own.  Luckily, the team with which I am working are fine upstanding folk who understand the meaning of "team" and who are, against all adversity, doing what they can to make their piece a bit better.  And long may it continue.


Must concentrate on my three hour (yes, count them and weep) conference call now, coz as sure as eggs is eggs, the moment I am not concentrating, someone will ask me a question or seek my input.  And trust me when I say there is nothing more buttock-clenching than that moment when you have to say "Sorry, could you repeat that" and the other call participants know that in this situation, it is you that has been caught out.

No comments: