Another week drawing to a close.
I had a phone interview on Wednesday for the new Cloud role in which I have expressed an interest. It is exactly what I hoped it would be, and so it is just right for my next role, but for one important aspect; the role will involve some travel, likely international.
I subsequently spoke to one of the two people currently doing the role, both in Germany, and he said that it is deal dependent, that some months he rarely travels at all, other months he can travel every week, and that it would typically be 2-3 days per week away from home when he is travelling. It is meant to be a consultancy style role, so in, advise the local team, and out, but as with all things in the modern world, with resources stretched all over the park, there is always the risk that we get sucked in to the team to fill a void. Also, by expanding the team from two to three, the load can be spread, and in fact the manager wants the team bigger than that, so perhaps adding numbers will dilute the challenge.
So, that becomes the main issue to consider and resolve. I think it comes down to the fact that there are very few roles in Starfleet that do not have some level of travel, and I know I am fairly spoilt where I am, since I can within reason dependably do the school run on a Monday and Friday, and can flex things round to accommodate the odd parents' evening here and ad hoc maggot collection there. So I can choose to remain where I am, lookout for the pipe and slippers, and have the home life flexibility, or push myself, take up a new and exciting role that has future-proof written all over it, but suffer a little on the home life.
We would need a robust and reliable support network to manage things at home, and we do have a few options, so I think we can make it work. LO, as always, will support me in any decision I make, and that is both a blessing and a curse, since it means that it really comes down to me, whether I can hack it, and whether I am happy with the change in the home situation.
Right now, I am slightly cautious, but mostly I think I am up for the challenge. I need the weekend to give me some space to think it all through, and discuss with the family, and then on Monday I will have my decision.
Have a good weekend, and speak next week.