View My Stats

Friday 22 January 2016

There's something in the air

I am beginning to get excited.  Earlier in the week I had a call with my new manager, planning my first week, which seems to be something like:

turn up, no earlier than 10.30am on first day, get all your stuff, then go home for rest of week to get all your induction training completed.  In the meantime, within a couple of days I will get a mentor, one on an active deal, and if I understand it right, I will be bag-carrier for them by way or getting some exposure to the organisation and the processes.

Now, I am not making any grand assumptions or assertions over the differences between Starfleet and NN, though as a first impression, I am quite liking it.  It is good that they do not adopt the "throw them in the deep end, and we will keep those who don't drown" approach of my incumbent, it is good that they will give me some induction, and finally, and most importantly, it is good that they will have me paired up with an experienced colleague within the week.

So, that seems to be shaping up nicely.

In my current role, I am nearing a turning point.  My big deal is at a stage when the hard work has been done.  We are polishing and buffing, trimming and adjusting, but all fairly controlled.  I also now have someone to which I can handover the solution when I leave, which coincides with when the real negotiations will start.  I plan to hand over to him early next week, and he will be in the saddle and I will be supporting as necessary.  I am therefore taking a moment to catch up on reading, clearing my expenses, taking off any personal documents from my work laptop and generally getting myself in a good and clean place to sever my connections, and give up my assets.

This weekend, we are mostly doing our own thing.  Football is off both days.  We are also out to supper at A&E's on Saturday evening, and as I am still on a dry January, it will be an interesting evening, since E particularly likes a drink. 

I hope you have a great weekend, and speak next week.

1 comment:

The Gorse Fox said...

There is something immensely satisfying about the "wind down". I remember being identified to take over a big data migration project. It was due to commence on July 7th... I sat there with a huge grin and pointed out that I would retire on July 4th.

Hope everything goes well in the last few days.