View My Stats

Friday 8 January 2016

And . . . relax (or at least, try to relax)

We had a fantastic Christmas and New Year.  Lots of family and parties and probably way too much drinking, and definitely too many mince pies.  I am now on a Dry January, and very much cutting back on my food intake.  Oh joy.

First week back.  Starting to lose my interest in things, just at a time that things are hotter than ever.  If I can get over a short-term congestion issue, hand over some of my day job to my very able deputy, then things will be a bit easier, and I will then simply be 100%, or as near as anyone can get to dedicated to a single task in the weird and wonderful world of Starfleet.  In truth, aside from the need to be in the office more, and thus impacting my tight regime of late afternoon naps, it will be a fairly enjoyable task.  The reason for this is that it is one large piece of work, rather than numerous (if there were such a thing as numerously numerous, I would wanting to be using it) pieces of small pieces.  i.e. somewhat more like my new role will be. 

It is, as said before, some good experience, since I have never been involved in something like it, so all good for the betterment of Scobi, it being the "Year of Me" this year, not in any self-aggrandising way, but more that I want to think about me in everything I do, so I am healthier, fitter, happier etc.

On the home front, the rest of the Scobi clan are slowly getting back to normal.  This includes mealtimes, bedtimes, and the overall routine of normal life.  Of course it sucks, but until we have some profound external influence (lottery win, say), it is all we have and we plan to make as best use of it as we can.

Finally, I should tell you about my new car.  It is a Volvo XC60, something we have coveted for a long while, and so a great source of pleasure to us all that we have managed to bag one.  It is a bit bigger than the X1, but still economical.  It will be a great tower, and it is a great ride.  It is very comfortable (now I have both automatic and cruise control), good looking and full of "boys' toys" gadgets.  The include the normal such as leather, sat nav etc. but it also includes a TFT dashboard, which means that you can apply themes to the main controls (speed, revs, power, cruise control settings and the usual bits to show rear heaters etc).  I am favouring the Sport mode for now, but sometimes slip to Elegance when I want a change.  It also had an HDD on which we could load data files, which I think we will use when we plan a long drive, to take our stories and podcasts and all the other bits that used to go on a phone.  It also has silly bits like when you go in to reverse, the nearside mirror dips down so you can see the curb. 

I am very happy with the choice.  The only cloud is a mental one really; to get a really good deal, we had to complete 31st December, so we have the car before the job, which feels like a risk to us.  Just need to luge it through to the start of Feb, then we are on a sound footing.

I hope  you have a great weekend, speak next week.

No comments: