View My Stats

Thursday 6 February 2014

And . . . relax

Another perfect week slowly draws to a close, and a chap can take a moment to reflect on the triumphs of the week.  And they have been many.  Honestly.

I am starting to get a shape on what I am doing next with my career.  This sounds mysterious, and I would rather not write about in case I jinx it.

This weekend we don't have any clubs, since Maggot 2 is doing a poem at an inter-school poetry competition.  His poem is entitled "If I were a teabag", a question we have all asked at one point or other in our lives.  We then plan to try the fairly newly opened Wagamama's restaurant in town, a small challenge as to whether their menu and Maggot 2's very narrow tastes have any overlap.

I am in to the undercoating on the front room.  I am hoping that today, a local charity called Stone Pillow will turn up,  a charity who provide for free furniture to people who cannot afford to buy.  We just want to get rid of them, so I am really hoping they are good enough for them to take away.  They have the fire labels, essential before any charity will take furniture, and I have plumped the pillows and removed several jelly babies from under the seats, so here's hoping.

Once the furniture is gone, I can crack on in earnest finishing the under-coating and glossing, and then a couple of coats of varnish on the floor, re-waxing the fireplace support, painting the old mirror with copper paint (more on this if it is successful) and we are then ready to take charge of the new sofa.

We have also visited a local upholstery company, a husband and wife team, in their sixties if they are a day, in a small unit in farm buildings, next door to the oak furniture place where we got our table, sideboard and TV corner unit as it happens.  They were a lovely couple who will, we hope, make us a bespoke footstool - old-fashioned, but very fashionable, button top, casters, in a fairly bright dark pink, to complement the colours in the rug we also bought last night.  It is fair to say that it is all go in Scobi Towers.

Just realised that it is actually only Thursday today.  I am breaking the usual routine of being in the office Tuesday to Thursday, and as I am at home my brain has obviously made the mistake of thinking, perhaps hoping, it is Friday.  Oh well, better early than never, or whatever the saying is*.

=================================
* Whatever it is, it is not that. Ed.

No comments: