View My Stats

Friday 28 February 2014

And . . . relax

Something out of the ordinary has dropped in to my lap this week.  I have been offered training, which of course I eagerly accepted.  This is training in Cloud, to be precise the new Cloud acquisition of Starfleet.  Cloud is definitely an area in which I would like to build some capability, to ensure that I am keeping ahead of the off-shoring  monster, so this is welcome, especially at a time when I really am looking for the next turn in my career.

Oh, did I mention it is in Amsterdam.  Two nights, two days of training, maybe see a little bit of 'Dam while I am there, a bit of a change of routine, and doing some of that learning thing.  I really cannot wait.

This weekend I will be dusting off my tailoring skills to make a new  cover for the window seat cushion in our front room.  It is a slightly awkward shape, the name of which escapes me just now, so instead, here is a picture:



 
This bit of work will therefore be a big test of my accuracy skills.  I have made two previous covers for the same cushion, so it is all in the realms of the possible, but nevertheless I have been giving it a lot of pre-thought whilst doing other things.  The new material is absolutely amazing, just what we were looking for, and it is also pretty expensive stuff, so I will definitely be measuring thrice and cutting once.

This is the second to final piece in the puzzle that is our new front room.  We just need to work out what lighting we want, and then the sitting end is complete.  That will leave the other end needing a new blind for the french doors, and some form of multi-top games table, something that is probably a year or two off at the moment, so we will be dusting off the old football table from the shed to give us something for now.

I just wanted to say good luck to Brad.  He starts his new job on Monday, having escaped his own personal version of Starfleet for a smaller, but more dynamic, organisation.  All the best fella and hope the first day goes well.

Have a good weekend, and speak next week.

Trapezoid, that is the name of the shape.  Flippin' hard to sew for sure, whatever its name.

No comments: