View My Stats

Thursday 7 April 2011

Is it really Thursday already?

Time is an abstract concept, we all know that, and my mate Professor Brian Cox hasn't helped much with all his mind-blowing information, however, where did the time go?

I do stuff, and mostly the stuff I do is little and quick, sometimes it can be middle sized and not so quick and sometimes small and not so quick.  The stuff I am doing right now is a biggie.  In value, and complexity, and I find myself having to revert to good old fashioned techniques, ones that can be dulled in the "fast moving consumer goods" world I tend to inhabit, and while there have been a few growing pains along the way, overall I have enjoyed having the time to really get stuck in, and have to think about deep stuff, and to engage with a number of troopers who I have never met, and probably never will. 
I also have one of those dratted deadlines, and am reminded of someone, it may have been Terry Pratchett but don't quote me, that said "I love deadlines, I love the wooshing sound they make as they fly past me".  This deadline is, as the name suggests, a line that crossing or not crossing (can never remember which one it is) will result in instant death.  It may not be to everyone's taste, but it focuses the mind.   And thus I am focused now.  Except for the little break to write this blog, obv.

Other news sees us venturing up North to visit Brad and Angelina, for a fun time, and also to plan our up-coming holiday the week after next (indeed, the week after my deadline, so another reason to hit the said deadline).  It will be fun, and I am very much looking forward to it, and with the weather being just fine, hopefully plenty of outdoor stuff to boot.

Building is still going.  We hit the tricky bit now where we are dependent on plasterers, chippies, sparkies and other neer-do-wells, and the project may well judder to a slower pace now, albeit the foreman will be running as tight a ship as he can in pursuit of the good deal.  We are water-proof now, and looking for first fix and windows to make it water-tight. 
Now, BadMan told me that week 11-12 is when you just wish they will leave.  He did a two-storey extension, and mine is single storey, so maybe it is OK that at week 6 I am having similar feelings.  In fact, I have a bit of a trough of disillusionment right now, and can only hope that time away from the pad will make my heart grow fonder.  Time will tell.

Until next time, adieu mon amigo.

1 comment:

a bad man said...

Scobi - you now need to focus on that not too distant day when you, Mrs S and the Maggots stand there in a bare room, unpainted knowing that the Builders have finished and will not be coming back. No more doors left open, no more skanky tea mugs, no more conversations that you dont really want to have but take part in to fit it. Your home will finally be yours again and you get to invite people you want at a time to suit you. Its not that far off now.