View My Stats

Friday 26 March 2010

Retail Sandwich Index

The thing that economists have been warning of for a while has finally come to pass. As anyone could have identified by the devastating fall in the Retail Sandwich index (RSI), the Worcester sandwich shop has closed.
Golfy first brought this news to you two days ago, and the poor chap has been inconsolable ever since he found out. Even the mighty Gorse Fox is planning a boycott of the West Midlands in support of the place.

I would just like to give a shout out to Lucas, the owner, and his daughters. Lucas was, I am sad to report, a Manchester United fan. He may indeed still be a Man U fan, depending on how the counselling is going. Ha ha.

Anyway, I shall miss my brown-baguette-egg-mayo-and-salad-with-lots-of-black-pepper sandwiches, a friendly chat with Lucas, a checkout of the latest wacky nail painting on one of the daughters, and quick peek at The Sun. Just about the most perfect lunch break you could ask for. I am salivating just at the thought of the egg sandwich and really will miss every aspect of the experience. Lucas, if you are reading this (which of course he almost definitely is not) then good luck in whatever you are doing now, and maybe we shall meet in another food outlet sometime.

I is nearly 8 years to the day that maggot number 1 was born. It feels like a lifetime. I really am not sure what we used to do before children, but I dream that it including a lot of sleeping, reading, eating and drinking. It may have even included a bit of the other, which of course got us into this mess in the first place.
I do remember that when we were in the flat we sometimes did not get up until 8am. Sometimes I can be up and have driven two and a half hours to be in Worcester by 8am. And even if I was not driving all that way, then there are plenty of other ways to welcome in the new dawn as one or other, occasionally both, maggots dive bombs us in search of a cuddle.

Maggot 1 has three of his friends from school coming over for a sleepover that will involve swimming, cinema, an almost uncontainable amount of excited energy, and the illicit eating of a mountain chocolate at midnight that maggot 1 has been stockpiling since Christmas. One of the mums said to me in the playground today that we must be mad, oh, and also mentioned that her little maggot often stays up until midnight when he stays with his grandparents. I need to check the contract, because I don't remember that being part of the service. Let's just hope we can knacker them out before then because, let's be honest, we need to be in bed way before then.

And I certainly didn't do that BM (before maggots).

Let's hope the sun keeps on shining right through the weekend and into next week. Scobi senior times two return to these shores in 5 days and we really do not want to be scaring them off with cold weather and rain.

I hope you all have a great weekend, and let's meet again next week.

No comments: