View My Stats

Thursday 18 March 2010

Old Haunts

My life as a foot soldier of Starfleet has, in the last couple of years, revolved around 4 main locations, namely my home office, Worcester, Farnborough and London, in order of frequency. So far in 2010, due to a combined effect of stricter rules on when you can travel, and also less of a need to do so anyway, I have spent too much of my time working from home.

"Oh, how lovely, being able to work from home."

"Yes it is, but to do it all the time gives you cabin fever. It is great to have the option, but it is also good to mix in person with like-minded colleagues from time to time."

If I have a pound for every time I have said that this year, then I would have exactly £17.50. The 50p relating, obviously, to a very abbreviated version of that conversation.

It is true, having the option of working at home is a fantastic privilege, if privilege is not too strong a word for it. In my industry, it is fair to say that Starfleet leads the way in supporting, in fact actively encouraging, home working, even if they did take away the company funded broadband connection last year, leaving me to either pay for my own, or change my working status to "office-based" and be allocated a desk in my local Starfleet starship. The latter being somewhat more of a threat than something they would actively want to encourage, in my opinion, but nevertheless a clever tactic to help ease the transition without mass revolt. This does, I know, sound a bit ungrateful, since most people do not get their company to provide broadband for home working. I accept this and the best defense I can make is that when you are provided with something, and then have it taken away, then you do feel like you have lost something. Maybe bankers are likewise moaning about the million pound bonus they are not getting this year. Oh sorry, they are getting it this year, but only to ensure that each bank can retain their best "talent". Claws away, rant over.

Anyhow, my lack of travel means that I have not been to Worcester this year, a massive change from last year when I went every week, usually for two days and one night.

My stay would normally be at the Fownes Hotel. This was a glove factory "in the old days" and is now a local hotel that is a bit tatty, but a place that feels like home. I always liken it to a dotty aunt's house - not perfect, but somehow charming in its imperfection.

On Wednesday, I visited Worcester, just for the day. I was unable to stay at Aunty Fownes' house because I had to work from home to look after the recuperating maggot 1 on the Thursday. It was nice to see a number of old faces, and to catch up on what is going on with the program, which is long and complicated. They were all able to confirm that any rumours of shortness and simplicity are much over-blown.

Primary reason for attending Worcester was to meet with my customer to agree and sign off an important proposal. This went well, but needs a bit more work so back next week for an overnight stay. This overnight coincides with a leaving do for a couple of colleagues, and will effectively be also my leaving do, since I do not imagine going to Worcester again, so it will be nice to have a beer with people who I have worked with for several years.

2 comments:

The Gorse Fox said...

Ah, The Fownes... that brings back memories!

The Gorse Fox wishes you all the best and requests that you send his wishes to everyone.

scobi said...

Hi GF, yes, writing about it brought back a few memories for me too! I will send you wishes to all concerned. There is a bit of a leaving do on Wednesday night that I will be attending - I am guessing it could all get a bit messy, and there won't be so many people in early on Thursday.
As for the proposal, the big man said yes, but due to technical issues in central control, he needs to email a person who can do the official electronic approval, but yes is yes in any language! Hope you are well and have a great week off. Scobi.