View My Stats

Friday 25 March 2011

And . . . relax

So we find ourselves at Friday, and a chap is looking forward to a productive day working from home, enjoying the short commute and at the end of the working day, ready to start the weekend as soon as is decent. 

But wait, what is this, alarm clock set for 0530 hours, work shoes, shower and shave, what's going on here then.  The answer, my friends, is that I have been called to a 3 hour meeting to discuss the non-functional requirements for my new project with a cast of millions.  If that means nothing to you then I salute you, and can only imagine that your yin and yang are in perfect harmony.

NFRs (as those in the business like to call them) are one of the more tedious things to develop, as are most of the important bits of a project.  Throw in a group of ten people to discuss and agree them, and you have death by committee on a topic that the Death Eaters have for breakfast.  Don't they say that a camel is a horse designed by a committee?  Well, we can expect a right donkey today.  No doubt we will be tabling a number of issues, fridging a whole bunch of others, putting our toes in the water to test the lay of the land, and running plenty of things up the flagpole to see who salutes.

I wish you a good weekend, whenever it may start, and ask you to think of me at around 1515 hours, as the very life force begins to dribble out the end of my shoes.

No comments: