View My Stats

Thursday 9 May 2013

Just a quickie

Got a date booked in for an evening of fishing, which is nice.

Work is getting a bit hot right now, and in this, the year of the career, I am actually doing quite a lot of things to get mine in some shape.  We have to make a commitment to doing 40 hours of training this year, as part of a move to maintain and develop Starfleet's trooper excellence.  This, like in good recipe, is 3 parts good idea with 4 parts bollux.  I have managed to get to 15 hours so far, and looking at what else I can do, which seems to be quite a lot, although I am not that confident that all that is available to me is actually useful, interesting or in any way, shape or from of educational benefit.  But that may just be me and my resistance, nay indifference, to online training.  I am reminded of that old saying which goes something like:

"Tell me, I'll forget. Show me, I'll remember. Involve me, I'll understand"

The modern equivalent of this is therefore probably something like:

"Send an educational email and I will forget, give me some online training and I will remember (why I hate online training so much), give me proper training and then cancel a week before".

Now, I have to say, exercising my cynic muscle has been very refreshing.  I feel ready to get another hour or two under my belt.

No comments: