View My Stats

Monday 27 September 2010

Another day...

... another dollar.  I am going through a bit of an introspective phase at the moment, that started around the time I turned 8, and shows no signs of abating yet.  That was obviously an extension of the truth for an easy laugh.  The truth is that I am pondering the meaning of life, whether I work to live or live to work, whether money drives me or I drive money, whether I should run it up the flag pole to see who salutes, and my personal favourite, definitely no point running up the rhododendron tree until the rats have fled.  The latter, Google informs me, does not existing in any of the squillions of pages out there, but it was nevertheless a popular saying of any old manager of mine.  Another of his was, as he walked in to the office, "Do we like the wizard?", to which we all had to chorus "Yes we do!".  Strange, but true.

So since I am on a cliche thread, here are a couple of old ones:

  • All the flowers of tomorrow are in the seeds of yesterday
  • As much use as a yard of pump water
  • As welcome as a skunk at a lawn party
  • Do I look like a turnip that just fell off the turnip truck
  • wetter than fish spit
  • lower than a snake's belly
  • as black as Newgate's knocker (thanks Gran)
  • like a bag of sh!t tied up (thanks Gran)
  • If dumb were dirt, he would be about an acre
  • If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, looks like a duck, it must be a duck
  • It's autumn in her mouth and all her tongue can do is rustle
  • Lie down with dogs and wake up with fleas
  • Speak softly and carry a big stick
  • The squeaky wheel gets the grease
  • Worry often gives a small thing a big shadow
  • You never miss the water till the well runs dry.

I believe the whole of humankind's learning and wisdom can be found somewhere in a cliche.  And that's a fact.
      

No comments: