View My Stats

Tuesday 6 March 2012

Sickness is in the air

Still two down at home, but life goes on.  Maggot 2 has football after school, which adds an hour to his pick up time and whole lot of stress for the morning preparations, because I now also have to find his kit, in addition to the lunch box/breakfast/teeth/shoes/coat/where's the reading books routine that is the usual pandemonium.

I am now approaching the run-in to the "tunnel of death" of my Tuesday conference calls.  On paper it does not look too bad, but in my mind it is buttock-clenchingly painful.  My routine is that I can only get through it with caffeine, so at 10.15am precisely I start the morning elevenses ritual of hot water on coffee in the caffetiere (with 4 large spoons of coffee to approximate an espresso) and two thirds of a cup of milk heated in the microwave, a loving mix of semi-skimmed and skimmed milk, to create what us Baristas call a semi-semi.  The sort of thing you might get watching an MTV video (pure smut, Ed).  That should provide sufficient caffeine to send me in to orbit for the rest of the day.

The rest of the day is a sprinkling of calls, some actual old-fashioned work, and picking Maggot 2 and A&E's two children up from football at sixteen-ten hours.

I am sort of looking forward to tea time, which I shall be cooking of course, but that will shortly be followed by doing nothing, which is fast becoming one of my most favourite things.

No comments: