View My Stats

Thursday 25 April 2013

Films

Now, I do not have Golfy's (slightly obsessive and just a little bit weird*) love of films, but when I get to see one, I am usually mighty pleased to have done so.  That is not to say that I don't watch the odd stinker, but in general we pick carefully and are often rewarded for doing so.

And so it was that we sat down, with Maggots, to watch The Hobbit.  I had been affected to a certain extent by the general reviews about long and slow, so maybe that set my expectations down a bit, but I have to say I thought it was charming and very engaging.  It never seemed to go slow to me, rather it went at normal pace, but with a sense that the story was going to be very long, if that makes sense.  There were one or two slightly "look away now" scary moments for Maggot 2, but we all thoroughly enjoyed it and cannot wait for Part 2.  It did end very abruptly, pretty much like turning off the DVD (yes, LO accidentally didn't order BlueRay) at the end of a scene half way through the film to go to bed, but I can forgot that simply because, actually, it just makes me want the next scene a little bit more.  Excellent, 8.5 out of 10.

The other film we watched was Karate Kid.  The originals passed me by, but with a new generation of Scobi maggots in the nest, the new one, recorded off the TV, with, apparently, Will Smith's son as the "kid" lead.  I have to say that we all really enjoyed it.  For me, being a bit of an old fuddy duddy, it was more the relationship between the kid and Jackie Chan's character, and the spiritual bits were maybe trite, but I still liked them.  I could take or leave the fighting, but as it was sparingly sprinkled through the film, that was OK as well.  Very good, 7 out of 10.

On other news, the weather is starting to look very good for next Tuesday.  By "very good", I mean without rain and above zero temperature, in fact once the day has started, it will be sunshine and above ten degrees.  Sitting beside a lake with nothing to do but chat, work out when I am allowed the next sandwich, and watching a little yellow float tip is actually just what the doctor ordered, and in this house, we always do what the doctor says.

Work is work, with some good bits and not so good bits, and in this, the Year of the Career, I really think I ought to be doing a bit more of something else.


============================
* only joking Golfy, you are not just a little bit.

No comments: