View My Stats

Friday 17 February 2012

And . . . relax

Another Friday lands at our feet.  The climb to this particular summit obviously not being as arduous as usual because I had Monday and Tuesday off (in case I have not already mentioned that), and yet, time off equals a pile up of emails in which there is always a few little darlings determined to ruin your day, so actually while the climb duration was shorter, the incline was greater.

I think I just about got away with that climbing analogy, but let's leave it to lie now lest I go and ruin it with a crampon reference.

Rusty Rackets* was fun on Wednesday.  In the bar afterwards, after we had exhausted discussions of top spin, lobbing and other sexual exploits, I had one of those "you work for Starfleet, I know someone who works for Starfleet" moments.  These are usually tumble-weed moments, since in a company of many thousands, the chances you know their neighbour's brother is statistically around the same as winning anything on the lottery**, however in this particular case I did know the tennis-coaches father-in-law, and in fact I work with him regularly.  Which was nice.

Only other news is that I am playing with 2 people who are mildly famous; one on a scale that you might even know about (3 albums, now producing), the other just a level of local fame (an old boss at the sister company of the company that I met LO, something like 19 years ago now).  "So what are you doing now?", I asked the old boss.  "For the last 15 years, running sister company", he replied.  That put me in my place then.  Actually he is a very friendly chap and we had a few words before being reprimanded by the coach for talking when he was.  The coach's usual job is teaching children and I have a suspicion that he has found it effective to use the same techniques with the Rusty Rackets as he does with the ankle-biters.  Needless to say that the promise of a Jelly Bean soon shut us up.

This weekend is shaping up to be a quiet one, which is just what I need.  The others are not so sure, having had a week off for half-term, so there may be swimming and other pursuits in which to take part.  Maggot 1 is going for a sleepover tonight, so we are down to one Maggot and counting, and that usually means he gets to choose what we do, and bless him that is usually along the lines of "stay at home and play we me lots".  He doesn't want much.

I hope your weekend if as fun as ours is shaping up to be.  Speak next week.


--------------------------
* For those not paying attention, or who really don't care, Rusty Rackets is an hour and a half of tennis coaching and playing with similarly aged and similarly skilled players. As someone who could do more exercise, this certainly counts, and is something I am very much enjoying.
** and as a member of a Euro Lottery syndicate, I can confirm with empirical data that this means very low statistics

No comments: